Tuesday 25 June 2013

'Coming up roses' A review from the heart.



Where do i even start with this? For a very long time i have been one of the masses that is absolutely, madly addicted to all things Cath Kidston. From it's adorable pastel washed colours to it's remarkable kitsch patterns, it's every girls dream to have an entire house decked out in it's finest creations. Now don't get me wrong, I'm 21, so i haven't been with it from the beginning although i really wish i had. But i started to fall in love with C.K when i went from the ridiculous change of severe moody goth to flamboyant floral chic. I think there was always a small part of me that admired all the twee products. 


So you may be wondering what has brought on all this Cath like love? I have just read her new book 'Coming up roses' in one sitting. I sat down with my breakfast coffee and read it cover to cover. I was so inspired by her vulnerable nature whilst working in the business world. It's like she woke up one day and wanted to capture her's and many other British children's childhood's in her patterns. As she says in the book:

'I was always influenced by the prints and fresh colours of my childhood - my bedroom with its pale blue walls and striped rosebud curtains, the magnolia chintz in our playroom, my favourite Ribena coloured dress. Smell may bring back memories for some, but for me it's more likely to be a colour or a pattern.'


I think most girls can look back to when they were younger and remember an item of clothing they wore. Obviously most of my generation it was about spice girl leggings and scrunchies, but there are specific items of clothing in my past that i remember being put in for special occasions. I look fondly back on this cream puffy chiffon dress with a peach waist band that tied at the back. I remember wearing delicate scallop trimmed white blouses with patterned pinafores over the top. It's the clothing memories like that, that draws me towards Cath Kidston products. 
It's not just a pretty product. It's a little bit of every girls past. 


The book goes into so much detail about each step she took with all the products, without giving too much away, i was shocked to discover that a lot of her home-ware products were a complete and utter accident due an over order of some beautiful gingham fabric! Through out the book, it tells you the highs and lows of opening up a shop near Notting Hill, and her decision to expand with some companies and not others. The only small disappointment about the book is that i wanted to know about her life, and more about her mischievous dog Stanley, in saying that though, the front of the book does say:

'The story of growing a business.'

So i couldn't really expect it to be a tell all book about herself but maybe that's a good thing, she's just an ordinary woman who has done something extraordinary with her life and creativity. That's why its so inspiring because she started with an idea at the age of 25, and it's gone from there. With a lot of help from her friends and family it's became what it is today. As cliche as this is going to sound, if she can do it then maybe one day i can too.


Over the few years I have collected only a few items from C.K but they are all precious and wonderful. Most of them are gifts from my family and friends. My boyfriend bought me a beautiful dainty floral sewing box with separate compartments and twine wrapped handles. To live in my sewing box, i was bought a metal cased tape measure and a felt squishy cupcake pin cushion. They were both gifts from a fellow Cath obsessed lady who also lent me the book! My mom bought me both the 'Sew' and 'Make' books, maybe in aid to spur me on to a creative path, she also bought me my little floral green purse which i will use til it literally falls apart. My friend Sarah bought me the rose printed half apron, she knows my secret desire to be an amazing baker but knows i'm really no good in the kitchen. The only C.K item i have bought myself (unintentionally the only item, it's just everyone knows to buy me C.K things as there is nothing i don't like!) was a oil coated shopper bag with a beautiful bird print. I bought it on my 20th birthday when i was in Brighton, the C.K store there was insane. I could of spent hours and A LOT of money in there.





I CANNOT stress how great this book is, it will inspire to get out there and pursue your creative dreams and even if your not into kitsch living it just has a good feel to it. Like there are great rewards for great ambition.

What are your favourite Cath Kidston products and have you read this book? Let me know!

Thanks for reading!

Love Madison

A never recovering 'Cathaholic'. 

8 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book but I'll have a look out for it!
    UGh I LOVE Cath Kidston too, my boyfriend doesn't understand it at all haha he's just like "it's just flowers..." haha. Think my favourite item has to be my green floral cardholder because it's so functional but also so pretty!
    Petit Dora xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah definitely, its really good and has loads of her patterns in it. Lol mine was the same! Its so much more than that! Awh its lovely! Practical things don't have to be boring, can be pretty too :)

      Thanks for reading! :) xx

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to say I love your blog and the floral-Britishness of it! x

    http://www.witty-woman.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thankyou very much! I sometimes think its abit twee, but i do love flowers :3 x

      Delete
  3. I'm not personally a big fan of Cath Kidston products (although I do think some of it is very pretty) but I really enjoyed how personal you made this review and how much thought you've clearly put into the post :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    www.iamnotblonde.net xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah its not to everyone's taste :) it can be abit granny. But the book is just a nice read anyway :) thankyou for commenting!! :) xx

      Delete
    2. Yeah its not to everyone's taste :) it can be abit granny. But the book is just a nice read anyway :) thankyou for commenting!! :) xx

      Delete
  4. I worked for Cath Kidston for around 2 years and can you relate to your obsession! I used to read her book in the stock room on my breaks (should I admit that) Its a lovely company! x

    thecuriouslifeoflisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete